Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

Paul Revere's statue, Paul Revere Mall, Boston, MA

I just wanted to give a shout-out to all who are serving our country right now in the Armed Forces. My father and father-in-law both served their country and I'm proud of them. I'm proud of anyone who decided to serve.

I'm also incredibly grateful for the blessings we enjoy because we live in a free country. My work with the Korean newspaper program helps me see just how lucky we are (not because the Koreans are oppressed, but because we often cover news stories about those that are.)

So take some time today to sing the National Anthem. Sing it with pride. If you know the last verse, sing it too. If you don't, I'd like to leave you with the last verse of the Star-Spangled Banner:

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

No comments: